freetds - Re: [freetds] 0.61rc4 posted and announced

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Alf-Ivar Holm <affi AT csc.no>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 0.61rc4 posted and announced
  • Date: 25 Feb 2003 11:38:24 +0100

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org> writes:

> freetds-0.61-1.i386.rpm
> freetds-unixodbc-0.61-1.i386.rpm

I now installed the above two packages, and it works for us (simple
SELECT statements) with Apache 2 + PHP on RedHat 8.0, where the old
freetds-0.60-1.i386.rpm did a seg fault on that configuration: (From
/var/log/httpd/error_log):

[Tue Feb 25 10:03:22 2003] [notice] child pid 5336 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

Sorry, that is all the debug info I have, but the 0.60 did work when I
ran the same query from isql. Anyway, I did compile 0.61 a few weeks
ago, and it did work, just as the new 0.61 RPM does.

I'm quite happy now, since we now have a complete system with only
RPMs - no compiled packages! There are two things I find a bit odd
though:

1) The RPM creates a /etc/freetds/ directory, but the freetds.conf is
put in /etc/ with a link from /etc/freetds/. The locales.conf is
put in /etc/ with no link from /etc/freetds/. Wouldn't it be
better to have both configuration files in /etc/freetds/?

2) 0.61 does automagic language conversion of æ, ø, and, å (Last 3
letters of the Norwegian alphabet: ae, o-slash, and a-ring.) in the
table content, but the column headers is not converted (that is,
the non-ASCII letters are converted to '?') unless either an
environment variable is set (e.g. isql), or the locales.conf is
updated when the data is gotten from PHP in a web page. The old
0.60 RPM did automagic conversion from isql both in content and
headers (but seg faulted from PHP as noted above).

I.e. if I run isql with the 0.61 RPM I get this output (The
environment variables LANG and LC_* are all unset):

+---------------------------------------------------+------------+
| Prosjekt | Timer i ?r |
+---------------------------------------------------+------------+
| VC++ Bærum Kommune | 0 |
| DNB - måltall2 | 0 |
+---------------------------------------------------+------------+

but with the 0.60 RPM I got this (in the same shell and
environment):

+---------------------------------------------------+-----------+
| Prosjekt | Timer i år|
+---------------------------------------------------+-----------+
| VC++ Bærum Kommune | 0 |
| DNB - måltall2 | 0 |
+---------------------------------------------------+-----------+

This is not a show stopper since there is a mechanism included for
solving the problem, but I wonder why the behavior is like it is,
and why it changed from 0.60 to 0.61.

For those that wonder about how we got it working in the PHP part,
we use this locales.conf:

[default]
date format = %b %d %Y %I:%M%p
char set = ISO-8859-15

Anyway, thanks for the good work! (And when will FreeTDS be part of
the RedHat distribution?)

Affi