freetds - Re: [freetds] 0.61rc4 posted and announced

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 0.61rc4 posted and announced
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:26:11 -0600

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:57:25AM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:18:36 -0500, "James K. Lowden"
> <jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote:

> > Freddy, I didn't post your rpm for rc1, sorry. When you have one ready
> > for rc4, I'll get that up there ASAP. Same for the .deb, Steve.

> Freddy sent me the RPMs and they are posted on ibiblio.org. I haven't
> updated the links on freetds.org yet.

> There are now 5 (!) rpms:

> freetds-0.61-1.src.rpm

> freetds-0.61-1.i386.rpm
> freetds-devel-0.61-1.i386.rpm
> freetds-doc-0.61-1.i386.rpm
> freetds-unixodbc-0.61-1.i386.rpm

> Is this considered a good thing? I can understand src/i386, but why have
> the binaries broken into 4 parts? It seems very fragmented for such a
> simple project.

In Debian, I've taken a slightly different approach wrt ODBC: there is a
small 'odbcinst1' package that drivers can depend on without pulling in
all of unixodbc, so the ODBC driver is kept in the main freetds package.
Since RedHat probably doesn't provide an odbcinst1 package, the above
split looks reasonable to me.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer