freetds - Re: UG clarification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: UG clarification
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:58:07 -0400

I sent you a perl script converter back in my precommitterbit days; I can
add it to CVS.

Wanna be really fancy (no, but...)? Make $SYBASE/interfaces a FIFO and
write to it from libtds when by processing freetds.conf at load time (might
have to fork(2)). Then, anyone who reads "interfaces" gets what they want
to know, and no one can mistakenly write to it.

That would keep 'em confused for a while. :)

I'm only half kidding. I know some sites pass around an interfaces file
that is shared among Sybase- and FreeTDS-based hosts. But if there's no
interfaces files, why not a FIFO for technical compatibility? Assuming
someone had the time and interest, of course.