freetds - Re: UG clarification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: UG clarification
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:22:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x200.htm#AEN210
>
> Two questions about this ldconfig stuff, if I may, for someone who knows
> better.
>
> 1) The UG says "On OS's with shared libraries (Linux usually), pay
> attention to ldconfig". Bolderdash, right? Shouldn't that be, "On
> systems still using the laughably decrepit a.out format for their
> binaries"? Is there better more precise technical terminology?

Actually, no. since a.out is strictly static libs, there is not problem
with ldconfig or it's brethen.

The problem is not that there is something wrong with the .so libs, it's
just that for historical reasons, FreeTDS installs in a path not searched
by default. Remedy #4 would be to configure freetds with either
--prefix=/usr or --prefix=/usr/local to place the libs in a path that is
searched. The RPMs do this actually.

> In short, set the libpath, or edit the .conf, or make a symlink. Do I
> have that aright?
> Many thanks.
>
> --jkl

Another thing I noticed on the UG is that chapter 8 (helping) is way out
of date, as odbc and bcp have received work and the specialized isql
thingy in the next paragraph has been started with tsql. We need a list
of what else needs work now to place here.

I also want to write up a small libtds tutorial to insert in chapter 9.
Plus, it may be a good idea to link to sybase/ms docs from there as well.

Brian