freetds - Re: UG clarification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: UG clarification
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:35:56 -0400

Ah. Would the "historical reasons" have anything to do, say, with not
stepping on Sybase's libraries? Naively I ask: should /usr/local be the
default prefix? It would be less to explain.

Otherwise, I think I'll include remedy #4, too.

> Another thing I noticed on the UG is that chapter 8 (helping)
> is way out
> of date, as odbc and bcp have received work and the specialized isql
> thingy in the next paragraph has been started with tsql.

Yes, I noticed that. We clearly have to dream up more work.

> I also want to write up a small libtds tutorial to insert in
> chapter 9.
> Plus, it may be a good idea to link to sybase/ms docs from
> there as well.

I'm secretly hoping that Bill "BCP" Thompson is going to send me section on
freebcp. Let no good deed go unpunished, I always say.

The UG already looks very different. I'm standardizing the tags we use for
common terms. (<systemitem class="library">db-lib</systemitem> and the
like.) Meaning I now have to document the documentation.

I corrected/consolidated the introduction. I'm up to ldconfig. It may be a
while before I get to Chapter 8.

The .ps is a wonderful aid, BTW. It's very hard to get a feel for the flow
of the text reading the raw sgml, and nothing beats proofreading on paper.

I didn't find an sgml docbook pretty printer (nothing like indent(1) for C
for instance). Everyone who knows anything says any pretty printer would
need knowledge of the DTD, which means it would practically have to be jade.
I can see why that's true, and I also think it's the kind of advice that,
had they heard it, would have prevented bumblebees from flying. So the
indentation, such as it is, stays, at least for now.

Regards,