freetds - Re: UG clarification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: UG clarification
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:55:46 -0400

The historical (or is it hysterical?) reasons basically revolve around the
interfaces file. Since $SYBASE/interfaces is the expected place it makes
sense to contain this in a directory of some sort instead of having
/usr/interfaces or /usr/local/interfaces cluttering up peoples file trees
;-)

I believe that beginning with 0.53 we no longer install the interfaces
file by default (a point to mention in the UG maybe?), but instead only
install the freetds.conf/locales.conf in $sysconfdir. This works well for
the /usr/local arrangement, since there is typically a /usr/local/etc but
for /usr what may be wanted is something like

./configure --with-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/freetds

My personal opinion is that /usr is no place for third party software
packages, so the /usr/local option is preferred.

Brian