freetds - UG clarification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: UG clarification
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:05:20 -0400

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x200.htm#AEN210

Two questions about this ldconfig stuff, if I may, for someone who knows
better.

1) The UG says "On OS's with shared libraries (Linux usually), pay
attention to ldconfig". Bolderdash, right? Shouldn't that be, "On
systems still using the laughably decrepit a.out format for their
binaries"? Is there better more precise technical terminology?

NetBSD has shared objects, and most architectures have switched to ELF by
now, where all such work is done by ld.elf_so automagically. Where is the
rest of unixland on this subject?

2) On the same page, there are what I think are three independent
ldconfig
remedies, but it's not clear from the presentation:

[quote]
If the FreeTDS make install puts its *.so files in a directory not
included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, you can either <remedy #1> modify
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (assuming
FreeTDS is install in /usr/local/freetds

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/freetds/lib

<remedy #2>
Add it to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

$ su -
Password:
# echo /usr/local/freetds >> /etc/ld.so.conf
# ldconfig

<remedy #3>
Or create symlink in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib to the actual file.

# ln -s /usr/local/blah/libsybdb.so /usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so

which is not a particularly wonderful solution but gets the job done.
[end quote]

In short, set the libpath, or edit the .conf, or make a symlink. Do I
have that aright?
Many thanks.