freetds - Re: Who owns dblib?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <gray AT voicenet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Who owns dblib?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Brian Bruns wrote:

> > > Brian is the owner of freetds, including the dblib code.
> > >
> > > Changing interfaces is pretty serious. It would be helpful if
> > > you posted your proposed changes.
> >

> > Fair 'nuf.
> >

> I'd like to recommend that we tag a version from CVS and if there are no
> huge bugs call it '0.60'. We haven't had a release in forever anyway. Then
> we can start tearing things up with my blessing.

I have been using CVS for years, but I never have gotten a handle on
branches. What would be nice, if you are willing to figure it out
and support it, would be if we could create a new branch that
would allow bug fixes to be rolled into 0.60+...my concern is that
it may take a while for and overhaul like this to stablize.

Of course, the sucky part (that's a technical term) is merging the
branches later.

> Some of the things in the TDS layer are getting long in the tooth. They
> were put in place long before I had a clue about how things worked.

I think that you'll like the new version that I have right now a bit
better. It doesn't have much of what I discussed earlier yet, but you'll
find that I have modularized the parsing process quite a bit and made
error recovery a little more elegant.

> I'm going to disagree about conversion not belonging in the TDS layer
> however. What tds_convert converts is the server datatype as given in the
> result set. Each CLI handles converting between its type and the server
> type. Regardless of what ctlib, dblib, or ODBC calls it, it is the
> server that assigns the datatype. So having 3 ways of converting SYBINT4 to
> SYBCHAR is a bit redundant.
>
> Perhaps, what we really need is the equivalent of libcomn to do these types
> of shared functionality. I'll happily fix dblib to work over the new
> underpinnings when I have the time.

Actually, this is exactly what I had in mind...do a more robust CS-Lib
implementation, with a full cs_convert() (which I already have quite a
bit of code for) and let each API carry around a CS_CONTEXT under the
hood to do such conversions.

> (We close on Wednesday for the
> house....this has been going on for 3 months since we put the offer in!)

Congrats!

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray <gray AT voicenet.com> "my keybard is brken"
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html