freetds - Re: Who owns dblib?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <gray AT voicenet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Who owns dblib?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:08:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Bob Kline wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Scott C. Gray wrote:
>
> > If I had my druthers, what I would really like to see is for
> > the db-lib layer to be implemented on top of the ct-lib layer.
> > This would actually by pretty nice because you could use it
> > on top of Sybase's ct-lib as well.
> >

> I'm not sure about the layering of dblib over ctlib, but filling in the
> gaps for ctlib would be most welcome, if nothing else because that's
> what the Perl module sits on top of, and ctlib has been something of a
> stepchild in the freeTDS project up to now.

The real issue is that you can implement db-lib on top of ct-lib,
but not visa versa. Also, doing so would actually have some utility
when used with Sybase's ct-lib for companies that are interested
in getting off of db-lib (which doesn't get much support these days),
without have to re-code their applications. For example, this
would allow you to use the new security (kerberos and NT certificate
verification) and directory service features of ct-lib from
a db-lib application.

But, since I don't have the time to do it, this is really only a
suggestion if someone gets a hankerin' to tackle it.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray <gray AT voicenet.com> "my keybard is brken"
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html