freetds - Re: Who owns dblib?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Geoff Winkless" <geoff AT farmline.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Who owns dblib?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:34:11 +0100

Scott Gray (We're not worthy!!! ;-) writes:
> Another option, would be to branch the code, and let these changes
> be considered FreeTDS 2.0 while the 0.XX->1.XX branch continues
> unchanged. I prefer this option myself.

> But, I have a vested interest in getting ct-lib working
> as well as possible (primarily against MS SQL Server--and, in fact,
> I can do much of this work on business hours) and I would like to
> continue to feed my changes back to the rest of the world so that
> everyone can benifit.

My 2p's worth:

I don't think we can ask you not to do the work you want to do - firstly
because open-source demands that if you want to make changes you can, but
mainly because there aren't too many developers working on the project for
any large amount of time, and you're probably one of the few people who can
work on this during real working hours - I know I can only spend day-time on
the code when it impacts on the systems we use here.

What I would like to see is a release of the current CVS codebase, now that
it's stable enough to be used (in the main), with only bugfixes allowed (a
"feature freeze" if you will) and then you start rewriting your version, and
any new changes go to that. I really can't see any point in continuing to
flog a dead horse by splitting the development.

All IMnsHO, of course :)

Geoff