corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:19:17 -0600

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:36:19 +0000 "Charles Savelle" <chsavelle AT hotmail.com> writes:
> George F Somsel wrote:
>
> It does not presuppose that the Temple was functioning.  Precisely
> the
> opposite -- it presupposes that it is not in existence.  If you
> refer to the
> instructions regarding the constuction of the tabernacle in the
> wilderness
> and the pattern which was shown to Moses, they preceded the
> construction of
> the tabernacle itself.  Likewise, the vision / transportation of
> Ezekiel
> with the measuring of the temple only took place after the
> destruction of
> the temple -- not while it was yet functioning.
>
> My response:
>
> While this seems reasonable as far as it goes, it does not seem
> sustainable
> given the argument of Hebrews. A post AD 70 date does not account
> for the
> possibility that the destruction of the temple would have provided
> ideal
> fodder for the the author's argument in Hebrews, namely, that the
> old has
> been superceded by the new. The destruction of the temple would have
> been a
> graphic illustration of that point. The author of Hebrews does not
> seem to
> argue that there was no temple to go back to, but rather to choose a
> new and
> living way. Furthermore, the destruction of the temple would have
> played
> nicely into the warning passages in the book.
>
> Charles Savelle
> Center Point Bible Institute

I was not speaking of the dating of Hebrews except as the date of Hebrews is related to the Apocalypse.  The measuring of the Temple implies it is yet to be constructed (I take the measuring of the Temple in Rev 11 to be a prelude to the beginning of the Heilsgeschichte following the occassion of the flood envisioned in Rev 6 [note the ἶρις which encircles the head of "him who is seated upon the throne" which is the bow which was set in the heavens as the sign that never again would the earth be destroyed by flood and the presence of the θάλασσα ὑαλίνη before the throne signifying the waters which were above the firmament]).  Hebrews must be dated on its own unless some convincing connection can be made between it and the Apocalypse.  Following the flood we have the sealing of two groups:  the 144,000 of the tribes of Israel and the "great multitude which no man can number" representing the church.  Christ himself appears in Rev 10 as the mighty angel bearing upon his brow the same ἶρις which was upon the head of "him who is seated on the throne and carring in his hand the now opened scroll with seven seals.  The measuring of the temple signifies the establishment of the Israelite covenant and the two witnesses symbolize the prophets of both Israel and the church.  This is followed by the picture of Israel represented by the pregnant woman clothed with the sun and the moon as a footstool and the twelve stars recalling Joseph's vision.  She [Israel] gives birth to the male child who is caught up into heaven and who, in the guise of Michael ["Who is like God"] unceremoniously kicking the Dragon out of heaven (recalling the accuser in the story of Job).

george
gfsomsel