corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:29:18 -0600

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:24:11 -0500 "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com> writes:

 George F Somsel wrote:

"[re: Rev.12] She [Israel] gives birth to the male child who is caught up into heaven and who, in the guise of Michael ["Who is like God"] unceremoniously kicking the Dragon out of heaven (recalling the accuser in the story of Job)."

George, I'm a little confused with your quick jump from the "male child" (implicitly a reference to Christ), to Christ being "in the guise of Michael". How do you make that quick jump and identification? Moreover, the name "Michael" which is a Greek transliteration from the Hebrew name, does not mean "Who is like God", but is rather functioning as an interrogative, ie. "who is like God?", the "Mi" of course being the Hebrew interrogative meaning "who?" In a similar vein, the OT  name "Micah" means "who is like Yah?"

Tony Costa, B.A., M.A., Th.D (cand)

Well, it is a rather abrupt jump from the male child being snatched up to "war in heaven", isn't it?  I don't think that we are to consider anything else than that the two figures are identical.

george
gfsomsel