corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:18:07 -0400

Kym,

Sorry I got the original referent wrong.

Perhaps it is me, but I do not put a lot of faith in the explanations that
the heresiologists give for the origins of their opponents or perceived
opponents. Look how Irenaeus and others turn Simon the magician in Acts, who
even repents and asks for forgiveness, into the arch heretic that fathered
all later heresies.

Dr. David Trobisch thinks that the NT books as preserved for us today are
descendants of one unified edition published under four groupings (gospels,
Pauline corpus, acts + general epistles, revelation). The groupings all have
their own unique origins, but for whatever reason all earlier publications of
these four units were superseded by the unified edition. Irenaeus was the
first church writer that we know of to start quoting from all books of the NT
we have today, and he does it a LOT, so I think the mid 2nd century would be
the most likely time for this edition to be released.

Trobisch also has a volume out on the publication of the Pauline corpus. In
his opinion, based on an extensive study of the earlier manuscripts, the
Pauline corpus grew from an original core of Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians,
Galatians, to which was appended the book of Ephesians. To that resulting
group was appended a smaller collection which consisted of Philippians,
Colossians, and 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Finally, to that resulting group was
appended another collection, the pastorals. Hebrews was the last book to be
appended to the Pauline grouping, and even then rather late.

I mention this because you were interested in the dating of Hebrews. Trobisch
thinks it is possible for Paul to have published the core collection
(R,1+2C,G), although I personally do not think that part of the collection
goes that far back. Even so, the collection of the subgroups of the Pauline
letters and their three or four step consolidation into the finished corpus
must have taken a while to happen, say 30 years. If a unified edition of the
four subgroupings of texts was say circa 150 CE, and Hebrews was a late
addition to the unified edition's Pauline corpus, that would suggest
somewhere after 90 CE to 150 CE.

Dave.