corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:22:30 -0800

Tony

I wonder that perhaps the destruction discernable: Hebrews uses only the tabernacle as an image. In line with Stephen’s speech, (see ABC 2001 cited in a previous post), one might think that there was a certain anti-temple issue among the early believers. So the present tense (those who offer at the altar) might be simply used as comparison rather than implying that the temple was still standing. Also the destruction would have been a shock to all parties. Hebrews is written to encourage tenacity in the face of difficulty. Perhaps the shock is too near to name or far enough away to allude to without naming. In any case ‘we have an altar’ implies that the temple of the believers is not destroyed but is ‘outside the gate’ – i.e. no longer in the confines of the established or formerly established order.

(I see George has replied with a more definitive answer - )

Bob.

Bob MacDonald

Victoria BC

http://gx.ca