corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Brand" <jbrand AT gvsd.mb.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:10:47 -0600

> >Why wouldn't language Paul used resonate
> >from philosophical thought represented in Cicero or Lucretius
> >(Epicurean) or (later) Marcus Aurelius (Stoic)?
> >
> Paul wasn't writing to Stoics. Epictetus postdates Paul. It's
> therefore anachronistic to project Paul in dialogue with Stoicism.

John responds:
The Stoics were followers of Zeno as was Epictetus and Marcus
Aurelius. Zeno is well represented in Cicero who pre-dates Paul.
Since it is not anachronistic to have Paul in dialogue with Stoicism;
why would we not take into account language in Paul that would
resonate with the Stoic? For example, Krister Stendahl points out
that Romans 7 runs like an old Stoic argument (Paul Among Jews and
Gentiles).

Regards,

John Brand

B.A. (Providence College, 1980)