corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:35:56 -0700

John Brand responds:
Here are a couple of resources that might shed some light on what the
Gentiles anticipated in terms of Christos:

". In the far East the Persian Mazda worshippers looked for the birth
of a Saviour from a virgin mother. In the sacred books of Zoroaster
we read: "We worship the guardian spirit of the holy maid Esetât-
Jedhri, who is called the all-conquering, for she will bring him
forth who will destroy the malice of the demons and of men." [Dr. L.
H. Mills, "Zoroaster and the Bible," in Nineteenth Century, Jan.
1894, p. 51]. It was this firm belief which brought the Magi, many
long centuries after the above was written, from the land of
Zoroaster to worship Him whom they had heard of, as born of a virgin
to be the King of the Jews." [Frederick Thomas Elworthy, "The Evil
Eye" (Julian Press, 1986), 194]

"We know that Zarathushtra proclaimed a series or group of saviors or
'bringers of benefit' who would 'heal the world' and 'make existence
brilliant' (Hom Yasht 30:9), and that he believed himself to head
this group" [Peter Clark, "Zoroastrianism, An Introduction to an
Ancient Faith," (Sussex Academic Press, 1998), 154]

I'm sorry, John, but I do not see the identifier "Christos" in anything you posted.

And for that matter, Elworthy's comment looks like a guess to me.

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church

http://www.timgallant.org
tim | gallant site group