corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:11:28 -0600

John Brand wrote:

> John continues:
> 'Christos,' of course, is Greek for the Hebrew mashiach. The Aryan
> cognate would be 'atman' which is understood to be the higher self or
> spirit.

Cognates are words which linguistically share a common root. I'd be
grateful if you'd show how "atman" and "mashiach" are related
linguistically..

> Ahura Mazda (the creator) has a corresponding atman which
> permeates his creation. There were numerous ideas of who was the
> 'incarnate' atman (Persian) or the incarnate soter (Greek).

So when Isaiah speaks of Cyrus being Yahweh's anointed he is saying that
Cyrus is the incarnate atman? And when the author of the Ps. of Solomon
speaks of God raising up his anointed, he's really just speaking of
something that permeates creation?

> Hopefully, this helps to bring out the identifier 'Christos' as it
> relates to your discussion.

No, it doesn't -- because it's not grounded in anything that bears even
the slightest resemblance to the real framework of thought in which the
terms Mashiach/Christos gained their meaning: Yahweh's righteousness, his
election of Israel as the instrument by which "blessing" would be brought to
all nations, and his faithfulness to the promises of protection that he made
to Israel.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--