corpus-paul - Re: Colossians Pauline?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Colossians Pauline?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:23:13 -0700

Edgar,
You wrote "And this is precisely an argument against Paul as author of
Colossians. If one has travelled widely, one does not adopt the local
speech. When in southwestern Germany, I did not begin to speak wie die
Schwaben es tun, but stuck to my Buchdeutsch." I find that a rather
interesting statement because I have lived in several areas of the United
States and I find that I am influenced by the local speech patterns. In
fact, there are times that it is necessary to adopt local usage to avoid
confusion. I am also uncertain whether or not there is a true analogy. You
stuck to Buchdeutsch. But did Paul have a grammar book that he could refer
too--one that was accepted across the empire? Or do you suppose that his
grammar would be the LXX or perhaps Homer? I would expect that the extensive
literature we have from the Greek speaking culture might be able to give us
some example of how a well-traveled individual wrote to friends in different
communities. I haven't examined any such documents myself, but perhaps you
are aware of some documents I should look at.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org