corpus-paul - Re: Colossians Pauline?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Daniel Streett <danstreett AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Colossians Pauline?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:49:36 -0700 (PDT)

Frank and list,

This is the standard line, but it has recently
met with strong challenges from top scholars in
the field. Markus Barth, for instance, in his
Anchor commentary (p.321) finds only a minimal
difference between the traditionally cited
Col 2:12f ("you were raised") and Romans 6:8,11,
not to mention 8:30 (already glorified?). Cf.
also 2Cor 5:14ff, where Paul calls believers
a new creation! Dunn echoes much the same
sentiment (NIGCT p.161).

Furthermore, Col 3:1 sounds a traditional futurist
note, as does 1:22.

In addition, if Colossians was composed by a
Paulinist, Frank, your placement of it in the
"late 1st century" flies in the face of Kaesemann's
widely-accepted dictum - "If authentic, as late
as possible; if inauthentic, as early as possible."
Most who label it inauthentic still place it in
the 60s, very soon after Paul's death.

IMO, research into the use of amanuenses for the
composition of ancient letters has all but
totally invalidated the traditional arguments
from vocabulary and style, leaving only the
weak and subjective criterion of "theological
differences" to determine authenticity.

Daniel Streett, student
Yale Divinity School
danstreett AT yahoo.com