corpus-paul - Re: Colossians Pauline?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Colossians Pauline?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:09:09 -0700

I don't believe I have ever seen it discussed, but one should consider the
very fact that Paul traveled extensively as a complicating factor in
determining what vocabulary and grammatical structure Paul would use.
Somewhere in my library I have a study of the dialectical differences that
existed within a few miles of London in the 19th century. Some of those
dialects resembled German far more than they did English. The availability
of a standardized dictionary, more extensive travel, radio, and television
have helped make the language more standard. However, even today in the
United States one can find considerable differences in usage from region to
region. This suggests that Paul's speech would be strongly influenced by
his travels.
Sincerly,
Michael Abernathy
mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org