corpus-paul - Re: Colossians Pauline?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Colossians Pauline?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:27:08 -0700

>>As E.R. Richards (The Secretary in the Letters
of Paul) and J. Murphy-O'Connor (Paul the Letter
Writer) explain in their respective works,
ancient amanuenses had, in many cases, a great
degree of freedom in choosing how to phrase,
even structure, the correspondence they handled.<<

This is interesting news and open to imaginative construction. I hope they
didn't get their first hand material from my WEB site <g>.

I remember discussing this a few years ago and having some disagree that the
shared authorship implied in Galatians or Corinthians was 'dominated' by the
Apostle's thought. I question this interpretation. I am glad to hear that
some might agree with a wider input.

But would Paul have countenanced the Aristotelian family structure implied
in Colossians and Ephesians? Wives, children and slaves all in their
places...

This is raised as an objection to Pauline authorship by Osiek and Balch -
Families in the New Testament World. p 118-119 citing Pol. I 1254a 22-24.
They seems to feel that both Colossians and Ephesians are beginning to
conform to the wisdom of the Greek world.

I sense that I have questions on almost every page of their text - but the
overview and especially the original quotations provide some input into the
role of women in the first century (along with Meeks and others).

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,