corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Dieter, I see what you're getting at.
Nevertheless,

> Let me use an analogy, that comes right off the top
> of my head: a seminary board decides that
> professors do not have to teach more than 7 hours a
> week...

I think the proper analogy would be: “A seminary board
decides that students do not have to submit to being
taught more than seven hours a week”. (The apostles’
decision was made on behalf of Gentile converts, not
missionary preachers.) So we’re probably back at
square 1, since the issue depends on a sort of
“coercion” after all. Certain individuals (the
influencers in Galatia, some Christian Pharisees in
Judea if we can believe Acts 15:1-5 -- but not any of
the apostles to be sure, on this I agree with you and
Mark) were evidently of the mind that Gentiles should
submit to being circumcised, and if the decision of
Acts 15:19-20 had been reached, why on earth would
Paul not have cited it?

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com