community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors
  • Date: 07 May 2005 09:51:17 -0700

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 01:19, Jeff Shippen wrote:
- - - snip - - -
> Bringing us back to your [Ed. refers to RMS] question, I too would like
> to know if/how
> SONG STORM helps protect freedom of artists and consumers.
> ----

Open Studios and SONG STORM rarely, if at all, use the term, "consumer",
as these projects rest on the premise that every individual is both a
creator and recipient/listener/customer/viewer/anything-but-consumer at
any given moment.

This might be a good opportunity to refer both of you to:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/mt/Song_Storm/

On this page, you will find the first posting as you scroll down the
page to include:
"Wait. There's "Hollywood" or "the labels" on the one hand, and then
there are "artists" on the other. They are not the same."
Larry Lessig from:
Peter Wayner Interviews Lawrence Lessig
Posted by timothy on Wed Jan 16, '02 12:15 PM
from the names-are-familiar dept. on /.

This quote is a reminder to all, that SONG STORM is not going to be a
supporter of the traditional corporate approach to culture/music.

The message goes on:
Start with the Playlist Page, try a couple songs, and, if you like what
you hear, send a vote. You can click to learn more about the Artist,
and, if you're real interested, go straight to their site to purchase
recordings/recording merchandise, buy tickets, join their Digital Age
Fan Club, and talk to them, directly. Nice, eh?
- - -
The next post, as you scroll down, includes:
To qualify, the songs must meet one of the following criteria:

A. Music from the Public Domain, Authorighted, or otherwise Open
Licensed, regardless of its author or recorder affiliation.

B. Music of independent artists, or labels.

C. Even copyrighted music, if not sold to a major agency (RIAA, ASCAP,
etc.) by its author, regardless of the author's affiliation. We do need
permission waiver, however.

In short, the only music which is not allowed here, is that copyrighted
and sold to an agency bound to RIAA, ASCAP, or others like these found
in countries around the world.

We will screen all songs submitted for appropriate status, so that
means, if you want to cause us a lot of grief, just submit the songs,
and let us figure out if they're able to qualify for prize awards.
- - -
Further down the page:
Each Playlist lists the artist link to their listing on the Artist
Page. If you hear a song you like, you can move to the artist's listing
to see a brief description. From there, if you want to learn more, click
on the artist's home page link. This will let you find out more about
the artist, what songs, recording merchandise, or fan club setup they
have.
- - -
Unfortunately, both Open Studios and SONG STORM recognize that it is not
possible for one organization/project to shoulder the burden of
protecting the freedom of artists and listeners/viewers. The mission
statement for the organization reads:
"to protect, promote and broaden the base of artistic works within the
Public Domain."
If we focus on what amounts to a dedication to replenish our Public
Domain, we accomplish that mission, in part, by addressing issues that
impact on our mission. For example, how do we convince Independent
Artists to consider developing strategies that provide access to their
creative works, yet also stimulate financial support so they can pursue
their creative lifestyles? One way, is to help them set up Internet
strategies that will enhance their ability to generate revenues.
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/bookkitchen/node22.html
RECORDING STUDIOS FOR MUSICIANS
You can also purchase this book at:
http://www.cafepress.com/openstudios/ and help support our work.

Following such an approach, one quickly realizes that in doing so,
listeners/viewers will be treated to extraordinary freedom, including
the opportunity to easily contact any Independent Artists, and arrange
suitable terms for commercial uses of creative works, without
jeopardizing the access needed to make those creative works available to
everyone.

I hope this helps answer your question, Jeff and Richard. I also hope
that when you read the information on Open Studios and SONG STORM sites,
that you will find more questions. Just ask away, and we'll get the
answers for you.
Tom