community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [Open_Studios] Re: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Jay Sulzberger <jays AT panix.com>
  • To: lucas AT gonze.com
  • Cc: bruce AT newnetworks.com, jec AT law.georgetown.edu, daniel.sieberg AT turner.com, amccann AT beyondthecommons.com, sethf AT sethf.com, nb AT cisto.com, Jay Sulzberger <jays AT panix.com>, dtype AT dtype.org, dpreed AT reed.com, heyjoe AT bway.net, gbsohn AT publicknowledge.org, leflaw AT leflaw.com, jeff AT pulver.com, isen AT isen.com, nancy.kranich AT nyu.edu, npavlos1 AT swarthmore.edu, fred AT metalab.unc.edu, dyfet AT gnu.org, hoofnagle AT epic.org, bartow AT law.sc.edu, love AT cptech.org, pshapiro AT his.com, glenn AT creativecommons.org, Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com, compustretch AT yahoo.com, calabrese AT newamerica.net, tomsong AT earthlink.net, phyland AT cpsr.org, tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>, markcooper AT aol.com, hfeld AT mediaaccess.org, robin AT ipjustice.org, Thor AT bchands.org, ehensal AT starpower.net, barlow AT eff.org, community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org, dan AT danielberninger.com, fred AT eff.org, jchester AT pop.mail.rcn.net, serge AT tux.org, seth.johnson AT realmeasures.dyndns.org, manon.ress AT cptech.org, mnemonic AT WELL.COM, Richard Stallman <rms AT gnu.org>, rmfxixB1 AT bobf.frankston.com, racine AT centerpd.org, dave3 AT dslprime.com, mitchell AT interactionlaw.com, ian.peter AT ianpeter.com, mcgarty AT mertongroup.com, sgannes AT stanford.edu, wynkoop AT wynn.com, petri AT prometheusradio.org, jkohlenberger AT cox.net, kevin AT werbach.com, odlyzko AT dtc.umn.edu, pozar AT lns.com
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [Open_Studios] Re: Checking out rumors
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:38:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Lucas Gonze wrote:

This is a deliberately loose formulation, much looser than the GPL was.
That is on purpose. Culture is a different domain and set of problems
than code. It has to be attacked from a different angle. The GPL was
precise both because it had to be and because code allows that kind of
precision. With things like tunes and punchlines you don't need it and
can't have it. What has done a lot of good is to make music which is
incrementally more open incrementally more popular.

A footnote -- it might be productive to forget about the listeners completely and think only about freedom of musicians, though that's not an angle that I or anybody that I know of has developed. If we did do that, then the way that the GPL protects the rights of makers would be directly applicable.

- Lucas Gonze

This is exactly the line of NYFU:

We are not consumers. We are makers and citizens, and we own our
computers, and we use our Net.

And we intend to keep our computers and our Net and our rights of free
communication and free cooperation.

http://www.nyfairuse.org
http://windowsrefund.info

oo--JS.