community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Richard Stallman <rms AT gnu.org>
  • To: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: bruce AT newnetworks.com, jec AT law.georgetown.edu, daniel.sieberg AT turner.com, amccann AT beyondthecommons.com, sethf AT sethf.com, nb AT cisto.com, jays AT panix.com, dtype AT dtype.org, dpreed AT reed.com, heyjoe AT bway.net, gbsohn AT publicknowledge.org, leflaw AT leflaw.com, jeff AT pulver.com, isen AT isen.com, lgonze AT panix.com, npavlos1 AT swarthmore.edu, fred AT metalab.unc.edu, nancy.kranich AT nyu.edu, dyfet AT gnu.org, hoofnagle AT epic.org, bartow AT law.sc.edu, love AT cptech.org, pshapiro AT his.com, glenn AT creativecommons.org, Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com, compustretch AT yahoo.com, calabrese AT newamerica.net, tomsong AT earthlink.net, phyland AT cpsr.org, markcooper AT aol.com, hfeld AT mediaaccess.org, robin AT ipjustice.org, Thor AT bchands.org, ehensal AT starpower.net, barlow AT eff.org, community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org, dan AT danielberninger.com, fred AT eff.org, jchester AT pop.mail.rcn.net, serge AT tux.org, seth.johnson AT realmeasures.dyndns.org, manon.ress AT cptech.org, mnemonic AT WELL.COM, rmfxixB1 AT bobf.frankston.com, racine AT centerpd.org, dave3 AT dslprime.com, mitchell AT interactionlaw.com, ian.peter AT ianpeter.com, mcgarty AT mertongroup.com, sgannes AT stanford.edu, wynkoop AT wynn.com, petri AT prometheusradio.org, jkohlenberger AT cox.net, pozar AT lns.com, odlyzko AT dtc.umn.edu, kevin AT werbach.com
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 15:46:26 -0400

As you may know, SONG STORM is a nonprofit project of Open Studios. It
is a site with a playlist contest theme. It is also a model of what a
small group thinks future music portals might be like, e.g., sites that
are dedicated to driving listeners to Independent Artist sites to
purchase recordings and recording merchandise directly from artists,
learn more, etc. We also follow the "license specifically for Internet
strategy" philosophy.

This description focuses exclusively on the interests of the
musicians. As a result, I can't tell what rights the listeners might
have in using the music they get from this site. The description
doesn't even touch on the listeners' point of view.

Helping and supporting musicians is a good thing, but it isn't the
only thing. Just being an alternative to the record companies doesn't
automatically mean it is better for us. To be better, it has to
respect the listener's fundamental right: specially, the right to
share copies noncommercially (such as, on the internet).

So when we hear about a plan for an "alternative" music distribution
scheme, we should call on its developers to declare the intention to
give us more freedom. If they do this, then we can give it our
support.

Does anyone know what SONG STORM actually does, regarding users'
freedom?