community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Jeff Shippen <jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com>
  • To: Community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 01:19:54 -0700

Tom and Richard,

You both have great points. I see that Open Studios has a potential to being an alternative to a major label. As I have learned in my management class, you must see all sides of a problem in order to get what you want. I think i can say that we all would like lower gas prices, but to make them lower, we must look beyond the reasons of why we want to lower prices by including reasons why they are currently high.
Is Open Studios not capable of making a recording for a 3+ member band? If Open Studios is capable and these artists are welcome, then does that not make us an alternative distribution channel/medium..? Though it may not be the focus of Open Studios, I believe it is indeed an alternative.

Richard, there is nothing more that I would love than to have all copyrights reversed to include reasonable freedom for the consumers. As you stated, you can take an existing proprietary program and make your own alternative program that has the same features, and functions very similar to the proprietary program, which you can not do with existing music/movies. Richard, if you have a strategy (or know and organization that does) to reverse current copyright laws applying to audio, video, images... I'd like to join you (them). This is like trying to reverse all copyrights on proprietary applications too, though. Instead of doing so, you have Open Source apps and you have closed source apps. The programmer has a choice on what copy right to use, and consumers have a choice on what apps to use (those with more freedom or those with less). There are many people that would love to support artists who chose a creative commons license, simply because it has more freedom. There are also artists out there that would love to provide that freedom. See http://soulseekrecords.net, and http://www.archive.org.
Bringing us back to your question, I too would like to know if/how SONG STORM helps protect freedom of artists and consumers.
begin:vcard
fn:Jeff Shippen
n:Shippen;Jeff
email;internet:jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com
version:2.1
end:vcard