community_studios - Re: [Community_studios]: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Jeff Shippen <jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com>
  • To: Community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios]: Checking out rumors
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:09:29 -0700

## When replying to MY message, it is set to go to the Open Studios group by default ##

I can't answer the question as to what SONG STORM does, regarding users' freedom, I'd like to know the answer too.

My suggestion of creating a catalog and database of works created from Open Studios rests on the assumption that those works would be tied to a Creative Commons or Public Domain license and similar, which automatically includes users' freedom.  We can sell works if the author allows us to do so (probably work out a deal).  By works, I mean "intellectual property:" music, video, text, images, and so forth.  Say an artist ties a Creative Commons license into a song or a CD.  This license might include "Noncommercial. You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work — and derivative works based upon it — but for noncommercial purposes only."  The artist then allow us to sell this cd on the Internet (ship the cd out or sell downloads) by making a deal or simply just giving us permission.  We are will be similar to other record companies, but the users rights are in the works itself.  They will not be allowed to resell the music without permission, but they will be able to distribute it across file sharing or on their Web server and what not.  They will probably have more rights than that too, depending on what the artist chooses to use under creative commons and similar.

This idea will allow others to purchase the cd if they want, or they can test drive it for free too.  CDBaby is an alternative to major record companies - an Online store for independent artsits, but, I think, all copyrights are still intact, keeping users' freedom just as limited as a major label's release.  I think you see where I'm coming from now...

Jeff Shippen

Richard Stallman wrote:
    As you may know, SONG STORM is a nonprofit project of Open Studios.  It
    is a site with a playlist contest theme.  It is also a model of what a
    small group thinks future music portals might be like, e.g., sites that
    are dedicated to driving listeners to Independent Artist sites to
    purchase recordings and recording merchandise directly from artists,
    learn more, etc.  We also follow the "license specifically for Internet
    strategy" philosophy.

This description focuses exclusively on the interests of the
musicians.  As a result, I can't tell what rights the listeners might
have in using the music they get from this site.  The description
doesn't even touch on the listeners' point of view.

Helping and supporting musicians is a good thing, but it isn't the
only thing.  Just being an alternative to the record companies doesn't
automatically mean it is better for us.  To be better, it has to
respect the listener's fundamental right: specially, the right to
share copies noncommercially (such as, on the internet).

So when we hear about a plan for an "alternative" music distribution
scheme, we should call on its developers to declare the intention to
give us more freedom.  If they do this, then we can give it our
support.

Does anyone know what SONG STORM actually does, regarding users'
freedom?
begin:vcard
fn:Jeff Shippen
n:Shippen;Jeff
email;internet:jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com
version:2.1
end:vcard