community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: "David P. Reed" <dpreed AT reed.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors
  • Date: 10 May 2005 14:20:00 -0700

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 12:05, David P. Reed wrote:
- - - snip - - -
> Music is the recording no more or less than music is the "sheet music".
- - - snip - - -

Hi, David: A very good point made!

Let's expand on that, as:
Music is the recording no more or less than music is the "sheet music",
or "concert" or "performance venue" or "sheet music" or . . . ."

It is, as you suggest, all of the above, and more. Would we not be
having the same conversation about the security police that ran off the
folks sitting on a river, next to a concert event, which they could not
see, but could still hear, simply because the "venue" included the
river, and they were not paid attendees? [note: when I reached for the
link, it wasn't there, but I'll try to hunt it down, if need be]

How about the Clear Channel patent on "burning" concert CDs . . . . and,
forgive me on the facts, here, and selling them to attendees to the
concert? It's all about "music", in my opinion, and when someone talks
in terms of "recordings", the issue still includes every aspect of what
we think of, when we think of "music".

Community-based recording studios is much more than a recording studio,
as it is really about "music" and enabling you and I to participate in
the making and enjoyment of it. That makes us, who are actively
involved, biased, I suppose.

Just a thought.
Tom