community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: rms AT gnu.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Checking out rumors
  • Date: 06 May 2005 13:10:12 -0700

Hi, Richard: You need to work on who's speaking for who, here (see your
snipped post, below). Secondly, I don't think you have answered the
question that was originally posed. That question did NOT ask for your
support, nor the FSF's support, nor anyone else's support for that
matter. Please check the original posting, and keep to the topic. If
you want to post a new topic, please do so.

SONG STORM is NOT an alternative distribution site/channel/medium. It
is a model for what future music portals might look like, where
Independent Artists, Internet Stations, and listeners/visitors can
easily connect.

One of our basic tenets, lies with the goal of helping Independent
Artists develop Internet strategies that do not rely on the Internet as
a distribution medium, in the traditional sense (obsolete business
models), if-you-will. As Jay S. commented, the Internet belongs to, and
empowers the individual. I would appreciate your not referring to SONG
STORM as an attempt to provide an alternative distribution channel for
Independent Artists.

In the not-too-distant past, we reported on Olu, from Ghana. The
singer/songwriter without enough money to both have lunch, and pay to
check his emails. He has the bare minimum access to computers. Yet,
this man, over many months, working with Open Studios, has managed to
thus far, create a song on a CD, that folks can purchase, directly from
him. It's an amazing story, and nowhere in that story, is there an
underlying notion that it takes an alternative distribution
channel/medium/site to be successful. Richard, you need to reassess
your tendency to jump to conclusions about what we are doing.
Tom

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 11:51, Richard Stallman wrote:
- - - snip - - -
> If someone suggests we support Song Storm, the question is how
> it looks from our perspective.
- - - snip - - -