ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:50:20 -0500

I've been screwing around with Facebook & last.fm integration. At the moment, if one goes to http://www.trianglerock.com, one will see links to Facebook and last.fm event listings for each show, which might be handy if you use those services to manage your social life or something.

In the case of last.fm, it's also kinda cool because they've got a reciprocal-tagging thing going on with flickr, so *after* an event, you can tag your photos of that event in flickr with a last.fm tag, and they'll show up on that show's last.fm event page.

For those shows that don't already have Facebook or last.fm events created by venues/bands, I'm creating them, but it's a freaking drag, so I'd encourage venues/bands to create their own events before I get tired of doing it.

Anyway, on with the plain-old-ascii list:

Saturday, January 3
Jakk Hogan
Bass Invadurrz (http://www.myspace.com/bassinvadurrz)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez: FrequeNC Records Night - First Saturday of every month - Dance party, dj's, fog lights and video

Sunday, January 4
Inspector 22
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Pompeii (http://www.myspace.com/pompeii)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 4
Clothing and Shoes (http://www.myspace.com/clothingandshoesmusic)
Bright Young Things
Rocket Surgeon
Geoff Register
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, January 4
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Timbre (http://www.myspace.com/timbre)
Owl-Eyed Allies
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 4
Perkasie (http://www.myspace.com/perkasieband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, January 5
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Girls of the Gravitron (http://www.myspace.com/girlsofthegravitron)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

There's a level of frantic desperation to every Spider Bags show that seems like it'd be impossible to maintain for long. Yet there it is. Note also that they continue their streak of pros-only shows: the Monday night after an overlong holiday, when most folks are either sick, pissed about work, or heavily de-toxing.

Tuesday, January 6
Porcelain Smile
Corpus Christi
Blood Drunk (http://www.myspace.com/blooddrunknc)
Casta (http://www.myspace.com/casta1)
Marvell Building, Durham

Tuesday, January 6
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Deleted Scenes
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 7
The Aints (http://www.myspace.com/latterdayaints)
Highway Magic (http://www.myspace.com/highwaymagic)
Phase Zero
Girls Make Messes
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, January 7
Jucifer (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/6452/)
Body Soil (http://www.myspace.com/bodysoilband)
Uzzard (http://www.myspace.com/uzzard)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 7
Velvet (http://www.velvetpop.com)
The Sour Notes (http://www.myspace.com/thesournotes)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 8
Dillon Fence (http://www.dillonfence.com)
Pico vs Island Trees (http://www.picomusic.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Dillon Fence's first records came out in '91-'92, but they'd been gigging around for a few years before that, so we're in the ballpark of a 20th anniversary (or maybe a couple of years past it). They broke up in '95, but have reunited off & on over the past 8 years. Now that Greg Humphreys' Hobex is on indefinite hiatus, might those occasional reunions come more frequently?

Thursday, January 8
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Zebralesque (http://profile.myspace.com/430800295)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

The Burlesque revival is still on its upswing here in the Triangle, at least judging by the slowly (but steadily) increasing number of rockshows that feature a burlesque troupe on the bill.

Thursday, January 8
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Ecstasy the Flower
The Pinhook, Durham

Pink Flag are an all-woman three-piece who merge punkrock bluster with some more avant/atonal tendencies, to excellent effect. The lineup as per Pinhook:

12:00 - Pink Flag
11:00 - Death to Details
10:00 - Extacy the Flower

Thursday, January 8
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Box Elders (http://www.myspace.com/boxelders)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Whatever Brains have a brand-new 7" out on Chaz's Bull City Records (as with other venerable labels like Shangri-La and Crunchy Music Stuff, the label & store share a name, and probably everything else as well). It's great; I've listened to it 37 times so far today. Just the right mix of punkrock fuzz/spazz & pop hook, with some excellent whistling thrown in for good measure.

Are Box Elders named for the early Pavement song, the 90s-era Raleigh 'zine (great pen-and-ink art in that thing), or the tree?

Thursday, January 8
Christabel & the Jons (http://www.myspace.com/christabelmusic)
The Jackets (http://www.reverbnation.com/TheJackets)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 8
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
Tin Star
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Waumiss are Clarque & Caroline; in 2008 they put out a great LP of their mid-fi bleep/loop indie-pop. Tin Star are a new-ish band from Durham featuring Jamie from tommygun and Louis from William Christ Supercarr.

Thursday, January 8
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Sonic Death Rabbit
Pour House, Raleigh

Ex-Monkeys are Eddie and Ian from Friend Side Monkey, newly armed with the latest in laptop/sequencey technology, but still as burbley as ever.

Thursday, January 8
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Tin Djinn
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thus commences another year of the Thursday-night Local Bands, Local Beers series at Tir Na nOg. My eyes having been seared quite enough by recent listings for bands Blood Djinn and now Tin Djinn, I'd like to propose a moratorium on any further use of the word "Djinn" in band names. Like forever.

p.s. Goner rule.

Thursday, January 8
Social Memory Complex (http://www.myspace.com/socialmemorycomplex)
Studio Gangsters (http://www.myspace.com/studiogangsters)
Most High
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, January 9
The New Familiars (http://www.myspace.com/fedorandguthrie)
The Secret Theatre (http://www.myspace.com/thesecrettheatre)
Christabel & the Jons (http://www.myspace.com/christabelmusic)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

Friday, January 9
Hooverville (http://www.duckonbike.com)
Dashawn Hickman & Steel Moven (http://profile.myspace.com/126992824)
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

I saw Dashawn Hickman this summer with his sacred steel band The Allen Boys, and make no mistake: the guy is one amazing pedal-steel player.

Friday, January 9
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
The Popular Kids
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release for the new North Elementary album "Not for Everyone Just for You." Also on the bill: the gorgeous pastoral folk/drone-pop of the Kingsbury Manx, and the brilliant, morose indie-rock of Erie Choir (as well as standup by The Popular Kids).

Friday, January 9
Mighty Zorgon (http://www.myspace.com/mightyzorgon)
Best When Tipsy
Ecstasy the Flower
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 9
Pykrete (http://www.bullfightparty.org/cirox/pykrete)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is listed as a 919Noise Showcase, but the biggest draw has to be Chuck Johnson's Pykrete, if only because Chuck's currently attending Mills College in Oakland, so Pykrete shows are rare commodities. Chuck split his time between indie-rock (Spatula, Shark Quest) and noise/musique concrete (Ivanovich, Pykrete) for most of the '90s, but the oughts have seen him moving more firmly in the noisy direction (though with his background, you never know when a more pop/trad element will sneak itself in).

Friday, January 9
Firehouse Rhythm Kings (http://www.myspace.com/firehouserhythmkings)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 9
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Hell Razor (http://www.myspace.com/hellrazornc)
Armored Uprise (http://www.reverbnation.com/armoreduprise)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 9
Leaving TX
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, January 10
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Joe Romeo & his Orange County Volunteers are holding down both the early & late slots at the Cave with their brand of quirky, character-rich literary country-rock.

Saturday, January 10
Shawn Luby
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, January 10
Cool Ethan (http://www.myspace.com/coolethanrock)
Hey Euphony (http://www.myspace.com/heyeuphony)
Left on Cates (http://www.myspace.com/leftoncates)
New Resolution (http://www.myspace.com/newresolutionmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 10
Kolyma (http://www.myspace.com/kolyma)
The Trousers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

As unholy rackets go, the one created by Kolyma is hard to beat.

Sunday, January 11
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's the first 2009 installment of the semi-regular local film festival Flicker. Short films, door prizes, and cookies!

Sunday, January 11
Billy Joe Winghead (http://www.winghead.com/)
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, January 12
Tauri Wind (http://www.myspace.com/tauriwind)
Starfish HQ (http://www.myspace.com/starfishhq)
Mark Belk
Marvell Building, Durham

Monday, January 12
The Movement (http://www.themovementvibe.com)
Wu-Tang Clan (http://wutangclan.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

A couple of things: just because it says the Wu-Tang Clan, this does not mean that you will actually get to see the Wu-Tang Clan.

There is *one* guarantee: the 8:00 p.m. listed start time is, ahem, overly optimistic. Add about 6 hours to that & you'll be getting closer.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------