ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "betsyshane AT gmail.com" <betsyshane AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:39:36 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 3, 1:05=A0pm, gr... AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote:
> Creating Facebook events is pretty easy to do programmatically, although
> it seems that the default setting is for the event to not show up in
> searches, so you have to manually go change that. Even then I'm not sure
> it's working.
>
> I started fooling around with last.fm when I noticed that flickr
> understood last.fm machine tags, and that last.fm would pull flickr
> photos tagged that way, and match them with events. I'm working on some
> kind of widget that will pull flickr photos from recent local shows
> based on last.fm event tags, so I needed to store last.fm eventIDs in my
> database for that reason.
>
> I can't say that I visit last.fm for any other reason, although in
> theory I can listen to last.fm radio via my Squeezebox, so maybe I'll
> fool around with that once I get bored with Pandora.
>
> I don't think of it as a social networking site so much as just a handy
> aggregator of music-related content.
>
> If there are *other* music-related sites that have APIs available, I'd
> be interested in hearing suggestions from people. The *ideal* site would
> be one where I can code something once and then never touch it again,
> which is emphatically *NOT* the case with Facebook and last.fm. ;-)
>
> Ross
>

> Karen Mann wrote:
> > You're creating facebook pages for all events on your list that don't
> > already have them?? You definitely get the award for going above and
> > beyond the call of duty.
>
> > As for last.fm, I haven't really looked into it yet, but notice more
> > and more people using it. What does everyone think? Honestly, I'm
> > reluctant to get involved with yet another social networking site, but
> > since I'm on myspace less and less, it might be a good one to try
> > out.
>
> > On Jan 3, 10:50=3DA0am, gr... AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote:
> >> I've been screwing around with Facebook & last.fm integration. At the
> >> moment, if one goes tohttp://www.trianglerock.com, one will see links
> >> to Facebook and last.fm event listings for each show, which might be
> >> handy if you use those services to manage your social life or somethin=
g.

> >> In the case of last.fm, it's also kinda cool because they've got a
> >> reciprocal-tagging thing going on with flickr, so *after* an event, yo=
> >> can tag your photos of that event in flickr with a last.fm tag, and
> >> they'll show up on that show's last.fm event page.
>
> >> For those shows that don't already have Facebook or last.fm events
> >> created by venues/bands, I'm creating them, but it's a freaking drag, =
so
> >> I'd encourage venues/bands to create their own events before I get tir=
ed
> >> of doing it.
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --http://lists.i=
biblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

BTW this is a very cool idea. I am stoked about the event page
integration, although I agree that given how negligent musicians can
be, this might turn into a herculean task. But as long as you're
doing it, I'll make pages Ross! =3D)

I'm also stoked about our super nerdy last.fm group.

<3
bs