ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:46:45 -0500

I don't think of [last.fm] as a social networking site so much as
just a handy aggregator of music-related content.

Yeah, that's about right. You don't have to use any of the "look at me and what I'm listening to!" features to enjoy last.fm; I've used it off and on for years as an internet radio station without logging in and found it fine. Sure, it promises to get better at matching what I like if I keep a profile, but if I ask for artists like Wes Montgomery or Spacemen 3 it does perfectly fine for a half hour or so without knowing what I listened to last time.

todd I understand why some people love all that social networking crap but it mostly makes me vomit and yes that's probably a flaw morman