ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jeremy Blair" <jerblar AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of January 3, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:24:52 -0500

MMmmmm, Facebook kool-aid, tastey. I have yet to find the end of the social
networking rabbit hole, let me know if you do...

One stand out feature of Last FM is the music player. It takes note when
bands are consistently grouped together in user generated play lists. Then,
when someone is listening to the "artist radio" for one of those bands it
will randomly play those bands that are commonly grouped together.

So in theory if a bunch of Lonnie Walker fans built last FM playlists with
Wilco, Deer Tick, Langhorne Slim, and Lonnie Walker and then listened to it
repeatedly, Last FM would calculate Lonnie Walker as a similar artist to the
first three. Then when users all over (the world) listened to the "artist
radio" of one of the first three then Lonnie Walker would show up in the
play list. Wah-lah, free home-grown promotion.

I've only read that this is the way it's supposed to work, I haven't tried
it. I have no idea how many times a lesser known band would have to spin
with a well known one for them to show up in the artist play list...maybe a
lot.

Jeremy