ch-scene - Re: Cat's Cradle & Durham?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "martin hall" <mdhall005 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Cat's Cradle & Durham?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:18:00 -0400

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM, maria albani <malbanister AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Well at least we have disco rodeo in Raleigh. Capacity is 2500, no?

No offense, but Disco Rodeo is just about the last place I would ever want
to go see a band. In fact it may be *the* last place.
Sure they can accommodate the numbers we are talking about, but I would say
that about 75% of the shows that I have seen there - and granted I think it
was still called the Ritz when I swore off ever going again - were some of
the worst live rock experiences I have ever had. And that is saying
something. That place has the acoustics of an aircraft hanger (and I am
hesitant to insult aircraft hangers in this way). Unless they have made
some significant upgrades recently that I am unaware of...of course I have
always preferred the acoustics of a smaller club show with a competent
soundman to any large shed show. But maybe that's just me. I'm old, and
crotchety, and can't hear too well. ;-)

-5er