ch-scene - Re: Cat's Cradle & Durham?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: David Menconi <dmenconi AT newsobserver.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Cat's Cradle & Durham?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:08:55 -0400

Yeah, I saw that David Byrne was playing Asheville. Does Frank feel that
he needs to expand if and when he has to move?

I think he feels bigger capacity is less of a necessity than a desire. he & I have often talked about the paucity of available midsized venues in the Triangle, which results in a lot of shows -- your Vampire Weekends or Foo Fighters, say, in addition to some of the acts mentioned elsewhere (Peter Bjorn & Jon, Smashing Pumpkins, David Byrne, New Pornographers, etc.) -- going to the Triad/Charlotte/Asheville instead. but a lot of those acts do wind up getting here eventually, on subsequent tour legs (Shinns, Spoon).

of course, the wild card in all of this is the economic meltdown currently in progress. if things continue as they have recently, I believe you'll see a lot of ambitious development projects stall out very soon; maybe including this one. if that's going to happen, I pray it's before they level that block rather than after.