ch-scene - Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled tonight)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "James Hepler" <hepstyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled tonight)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:31:36 -0400

I'm feeling you, definitely. And yeah, I've always kinda been against some
of the bands I play with booking Dain's, James Joyce, The Library, Jack
Sprat, et al, not because I'm against them having music, but because a lot
of times you end up playing on a tiny stage with a sound system on a stick
and those venues are good for a limited range of musical styles.

And that's not to jab at those venues either. I've seen some awesome shows
at Jack Sprat.

I'm getting way off topic now. So let me say I admire Catherine greatly for
what she's doing, and I hope she keeps doing it. I admire Dain's for trying
to fill a rock venue void in Durham when they're not too busy showing boring
sports that have no impact on our region. I feel bad for the bands that
worked hard gearing up for and promoting their show only to have it
canceled. I hope it doesn't happen again, and I highly recommend Google
Calendar to everyone reading this.