ch-scene - Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:37:47 -0700 (PDT)

>I tried to book April 7 WAY in advance at the 506, and Glenn said nope
>because that was national championship night.

Yes, call me 'dear' if you like, but one thing I try to do it look at
all the variables I might be competing with on a certain night, which
includes knowing when UNC is (or might be) playing hoops or who is
playing the Cradle. But unfortunately, some things are out of your
control (see last week's What's Up article about bad luck for an
example!)

But I do think any venue should honor their commitments - I have
enough holds on my calendar right now that I could book every weekend
until November, but ask any local band trying to set up a show this
Fall and you'll find plenty impatiently waiting on the sidelines. And
it's for this very reason - local acts have more flexibility than
touring acts so I'm hesitant to lock any one show down until I play
all of the touring cards.

But it still happens (locking in a show, then having a better show
presents itself)...but I've never canceled a lesser show once I've
given my confirmation (despite the fact that bands have done that to
me.) And I've missed out on some good bands. In fact, just
yesterday, I was offered a potentially good show on a date that I've
verbally committed to a local act - and I'm now spending MY time
trying to work it out for all parties (as opposed to taking the easy
route and canceling the original show - which is still over a month,
not hours, away.)

glenn / 506