ch-scene - Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled tonight)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled tonight)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:46:31 -0400

Kevin Slater wrote:
I'll open a place and run it. I may have never done it before, but I'd try to bring some morals into the venture. Oh wait, I guess that would be an automatic failure. Maybe in the next lifetime.

This is not an awesome situation, but if you're implying that rock venues in general are not on the up and up around here, then you've likely not spend a lot of time in other parts of the country. I'm consistently impressed with the extent to which, in general, the music biz around here is pretty honest and straightforward. I dunno, maybe I was ruined by four years in Nashville, where live music, except for a few very underground indy/punk places, seemed to largely be run by people with a criminal mentality. It was certainly refreshing to move to a town where clubs at least attempt to pay bands and where you're not in danger of getting beat up by a meat head bouncer any time you try to see some rock music. If you ever meet a guy named Gus who used to run a club in Nashville called the Cannery, kick him in the balls for me. ;)

At any rate, this is not an ideal situation but it is hardly exemplary of how things usually go around here.

Chris