ch-scene - Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled tonight)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Slater <saulecker AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: BASKETBALL - 1, ROCK MUSIC - 0 (aka Dain's show cancelled tonight)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:28:07 -0400

Well for me, I knew it would have nothing to do with Catherine. She's not going to cancel the show and I know she booked it thinking it would happen. No stain on her character for this one.

I also understand the perils of booking at a non-rock club, but even this goes a step beyond in my opinion. It's more of an integrity thing. If you book an event, whether it's a basketball game, rock show, or a clown orgy, you HONOR that obligation. You don't at the last minute call things off or alter the deal majorly. Starting a 3 act show at 11:30 (or later with load in/setup) on a tuesday night is a pretty major alteration. Bottom line for me is that if you can't follow through with your planned event, or if you are so greedy that you are will to stick it to a band, then maybe you as an establishment shouldn't be booking events. Yes, Durham needs venues, but I'm not sure a place like this is the answer.

Anyone got any seed money? I'll open a place and run it. I may have never done it before, but I'd try to bring some morals into the venture. Oh wait, I guess that would be an automatic failure. Maybe in the next lifetime.

k.