ch-scene - Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: chapelhillguitarist AT hotmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:59:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 29, 12:54 pm, jim.brant... AT gmail.com wrote:
> I use iTunes to organize my library of no-less-than-320 kbps music and
> it works much better than anything else I've tried (and this comes
> from a former Apple anti-fanboy). I agree that the iTunes store is
> worthless given the poor sound quality of the products. But who needs
> it? Importing stuff is dead easy.

I keep my digital media library organized using the tools provided
with the OS. Either Linux or Windoze or Mac allow you to create and
name folders. What is so hard about that? I don't need an online
store keeping tabs of what I like to listen to in exchange for help in
organizing my digital media library. Not a good trade... unless of
course you are a willing consumer.

> iTunes convinced me to get an iPod. Which convinced me to splurge on
> an iPhone. Which has convinced me to make the big leap from Windows to
> Mac next time I need a computer (unless this supposed open source
> revolution happens sometime between now and then - which I don't put
> out of the realm of possibility).

True consumer. Makes me sick.

Newsflash! Open source is already here for those of us who can follow
instructions in a readme file.

> What I really want is a way to remotely access (and download, if not
> stream) my entire music collection from my phone. I know eMusic and
> others tried out this "digital locker" concept a few years back, but
> why has no one picked this back up? I guess it's more likely that some
> kind of all-music-ever-recorded-is-freely-available-on-the-internets
> solution will show up first. I guess we're already there is some ways.

Why? How could you possibly listen to your entire music collection at
one time unless you have less than a few hours of music? I don't
understand the reasons that compel people to want things that have
such overblown features which a person could not possibly use without
constantly wearing such a device. This is similar to the hundreds of
channels of programming now available on subscription based TV. Why
would anyone pay for all of those channels if they can never watch all
of the channels at once? It is wasteful and indicative of a society
out of touch with a sustainable future.

> On the topic of open source, have y'all seen this?http://ardour.org/
> Open source DAW, supposedly comparable to Nuendo, ProTools, et al. I
> PayPal-ed him some bucks. How cool that would be. I would love to run
> my studio on Linux using an open source DAW.

Lots of people are using open source Linux platforms for editing
audio. The reason that most people don't know this is because they
live in a realm of conciousness where if it isn't recommended by a
friend or seen on TV or lodged in some other mainstream thought-
stream, they ignore it.

One simply has to open their eyes and look.

Now I am not saying that every person who fits the description above
is an idiot but it is fairly clear that this is the method of
operation for a lot of people in this country. We seem to be lazy
(well some of us), so we must be spoon-fed new ideas and new
technologies through some mechanism other than our own thoughts and
curiosities. I think that paradigm should be changed to benefit the
thinkers as opposed to the non-thinking hoards. Technology used to be
a domain restricted to those who took the time to learn about the
technology. Then along came MicroCrap and their ilk and decided to
make the PC an appliance that even an untrained human could operate
(well most of them anyway). This lowest common denominator approach
has created a population of non-technical people using highly
technical machines... a formula destined to be remembered as
Machavellian genius. As the average non-technical person becomes more
and more the description of people who use PCs and other computing
devices, the number of true techies who become millionaires increases.

So to sum up, Bill Gates is a genius who made BILLIONS off of morons
who have no clue that they are morons.