ch-scene - Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:38:04 -0500

tim,

i've only put one of my records on Zunior (and a Christmas record at that) mostly because I haven't had a new album in a while and I wanted to put the whole back catalogue up at once. Dave always pays his royalties like clockwork, which is really saying something considering he's been on the artist side of things. i doubt if it's a big money- maker for Dave (Ullrich, also of the truly great Halifax/Kingston indie pop duo The Inbreds -- some of you might know their two or three records on Atlantic's faux-indie "TAG") but it definitely makes a fantastic one-stop shop for great Canadian music.

i've bought a couple of albums on Zunior, mostly by scene buddies back in canada. they have a boxing day (canadian for "the day after christmas") sale where everything is half off, and i'm kicking myself for having slept through it this year. Zunior's sale is in homage to the truly INSANE boxing day sales held by Sam The Record Man and HMV on Yonge St. in Toronto. when i was a teenager, we would line up with hundreds of other people in freezing cold weather, to get in a store that was basically wall-to-wall people, and the deals were frequently up to 50% off, or buy three get one free (when you have eight $32 imports in your hand that really adds up...)

Sam The Record Man closed last year, and HMV's business is at least 50% DVDs and "lifestyle" shit. Sam's was pure music history, the equivalent of Tower Sunset closing. When Sam's closed, they auctioned off the fixtures and planks of walls signed by the artists. If I'd been up there, I probably would have bid on that piece with the signature of Burton Cummings beside Jon King's: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theblackrun/2300208935/

db