ch-scene - Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:39:25 -0500

And, perhaps equally as oddly, it's been learning a new instrument that has caused me to quit downloading music off iTunes. There are two reasons:

1. I use software to slow down the tricky parts when I'm learning a song, and unless they're an MP3 or WAV, then the software doesn't read it. And that means all tunes downloaded from iTunes, as y'all know. There is a laborious workaround to turn an aiff file into an MP3, but as you know it's a royal pain in the ass, and though I like computers, I don't like geeking with them that much.

2. So, I've been looking for CDs -- for instance, Bill Monroe complete collections. That way I can have my MP3 to slow down and analyze, but I've also got instant backup, the CDs themselves. This started to become an increasing concern as more and more of my music collection existed entirely on my hard drive.) I know CDs aren't the most cost effective storage strategy, but they work.

3. And, as a result of looking for Bill Monroe deep cuts to learn tunes and alternate versions of those tunes, I've discovered the Bear Family Collections. Here's one:

http://www.bear-family.de/mailorder/showoneproduct.html?lang=en&p=BCD+16399

(Which you can order through your local independent record store, as you should. You should also always order books through your local independent book stores. You'll get them just about as fast as you would from Amazon, without the shipping charge.)

When I opened my first set, I suddenly rediscovered the awesomeness of the truly great set of liner notes. It is possible, through these particular liner notes (which I'm only using as an example; this applies across the musical spectrum), to reconstruct the life of Bill Monroe, and also to better understand how songs evolve. There is no such resource easily available when you download music from iTunes. And even if you could, your pdf would still suck compared to the meticulously printed liner notes on outstanding paper stock.

The same goes for the Beastie Boys anthology of a couple years ago: you could perhaps download all the songs, but you'd be missing out if you didn't get the liner notes.

As my interest in and knowledge of music has deepened, I've gone from an avid downloader to an avid orderer of CDs from my record stores. I wonder if there isn't something in this (admittedly, very peculiar and personal) tale that might offer some hope for some sort of music store that is more than a record store.

I'll shut up now.