ch-scene - Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:51:28 -0500

On Feb 29, 2008, at 12:00 PM, chapelhillguitarist AT hotmail.com wrote:

Why do people bother with iTunes at all? (Different subject I know
but related). My ears cringe everytime I listen to a friend's music
dowloaded from iTunes.

Until iTunes offers uncompressed, full resolution 44k or 48k WAV or
equivalent, discerning adult music lovers won't touch it.

To reiterate what Jim said, what you put on the iPod is your choice. no one is FORCING you to buy from the iTunes Music Store (which is now just the "iTunes Store" as they no-doubt migrate away from the music that made them to focus on Movie Rentals and TV Show sales...) just as no one is FORCING you to buy Apple's hardware.

I _really_ bit the bullet/drank the koolaid/fought the seether and chose to encode everything with Apple Lossless, which occupies half the space while sounding every bit as good/bad as Red Book CDs (to me at least) when played back on my iPod Classic or the 3 Macs of varying vintage strewn around the house. it seems stupid to me to encode MP3 or any other lossy format, hard drive size being applicable to moore's law and all... when we have 100TB desktop drives and 100GB flash drives in another year or two. the only reason I don't just encode from CD straight-to-AIFF is because AIFF files don't retain all those meta tags (and why the hell not?)

while i certainly miss carrying hundreds of vinyl records with me while i walk the dog, I'm one of these freaks that actually likes having 80 gigs of CD-quality music, movies and tv shows that can be directly injected into my car stereo or TV set (at least until the Swedish government eventually caves in and shuts down the piratbyrån)

i've bought about ten albums off of ITMS, and all of those were by either by friends who didn't want to/couldn't afford to press CDs, or cult records that were so ridiculously out of print I didn't care about possessing a 5-inch aluminum disc of them.

all I can say is, despite all their socio-cultural marketing and greenwashing, Apple is still a big evil manufacturing corporation like any other. but in my experience, their products tend to work better for my purposes than anything else. it's the people like ch-guitarist who hate Apple... they REALLY hate Apple. it's almost irrational.

oh yeah, back to the topic... anyone know anyone who has some Ruckus stats?

I'm probably breaking my TOS on this, but one Ruckus stream of Bull City's "Ford Ranger All-American" netted Urban Myth exactly... $0.00900 (our digital distributor takes their cut from that.) which basically means I'll be buying dinner for Mr. Brantley next time we go out :-"

in the old days, that might have been a 99¢ single sale. Modern life is rubbish.