ch-scene - Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Did Ruckus Kill Schoolkids?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:12:25 -0500

Duncan Murrell wrote:
But it says windows only. How do I integrate it into my Mac world?

It understands two protocols for synching. Out of the box it is formatted and set for a protocol invented by Microsoft to synch music and initially was only found in Windows Media Player. It's actually not a bad protocol and a number of different softwares know how to speak it. I use MediaMonkey myself to do the synching.

You can also reformat that little bugger and set it to use a different protocol that makes it just look like a hard disk/thumb drive/whatever to any computer with USB. Your Mac can definitely do that. You just copy songs to it like a drive and you're done. I prefer the latter method, myself, because it keeps the DB up to date as it's going--there might even be a program that runs on the Mac that knows the protocol, I'm just not sure. Not iTunes, though, obviously.

Plus, only 4gb.

There's an 8GB version. It's solid state memory and is comparable size-wize to an iPod nano--ie it's tiny. That's about industry standard at the moment for capacity of a tiny flash memory device. As soon as you start adding hard drives to things, the size gets orders of magnitude larger. For another size reference, it's much smaller than my Razr.

But I really like the idea of having an fm tuner, and I really, really, really like the idea of a voice recorder. How good is the recording quality,

Never used it.

and does it have line-in?

Nope.

It's a teeny tiny little device. I use it to play music. It does that very well. The interface is very easy to use and the display looks awesome. I wasn't looking for an all-in-one convergence device or looking to use it as a portable recording rig. Video does look very good on it, although the one time I tried to watch it on an airplane, I couldn't figure out a way to stabilize the tiny little screen close enough to my face to make it worth my while, so I just watched the in-flight movie instead. I've heard of people watching movies on it, though.

chris