ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: eleni binge <elenibinge AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:44:19 -0800 (PST)

I guess it can be argued both ways - too many or too few shows. The
more you play, the more random folks might see you, and your name will
be out there, but the less folks will feel the need to come out due to
knowing you'll just be back again in a few days. There is no magic
formula, but one thing that's important is to freakin remember why
they heck you began playing anyway. Which I always remember when I
see bands like the Midtown Dickens, Wigg Report, Bowerbirds, Megafaun,
etc etc etc. Otherwise you're just pissing on trees. That's how it
seems, anyway.

Plus we're all pretty lucky to be in this area. There are a whole
heck of a lot of places to play and a whole heck of a lot of great
bands to see. To illustrate this point, I send you the following
article, forwarded by a former Seattle bandmate (Slug Sandwich):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2004154856_deadclubs31.html

--ex-Slug