ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:49:20 -0800 (PST)

>if I work hard and don't turn down any gigs (seriously, I've got 2 whole
>non-musician fans now!)

Actually, I would advise the opposite - as I always say, "Play Less &
Draw More." Because of the number of venues in the area, it's easy
for bands to overplay. You should focus all of your effort on each
individual show you book, no matter the venue. People don't have to
be in attendance to discover your band - I 'discover' more new local
bands from word of mouth by people who were in the audience (than by
emails or presskits.) I'm constantly talking to people who come to
506 about area shows they've seen.

To be more exact, I got two emails yesterday - one from a band that
has yet to play here and one that hasn't played in about a year or
so. I've yet to respond to either but I already know exactly how
their recent shows at other venues did, just from conversations I've
had while bartending. And the band that has never played here (whom
I'd never even heard of til a few days ago) will likely be getting a
show here more quickly than the one I'm familiar with based primarily
on such conversations.

Likewise, I always advise bands to underpromise, then overdeliver. If
you tell me you're going to pack my club and then only 10 people show
up, well I'll remember that next time round (ie: fool me once, shame
on you...) The two biggest free-for-all shows we've had so far were
the ones I had the lowest expectation for because the bands had yet to
play here. In fact, two of those bands are already setting up a
weekend show based on how well their free shows went (and again, I'd
never even heard of these bands til cleaning out my booking inbox
looking for free-for-all possibilities!)

Similarly, my personal favorite band from the free-for-all series
will have more difficulty because they drew few people (despite
claiming the opposite.) That's the thing, people think if the club
falls for the band, they'll get some breaks but that's not always the
case - I'll still recommend this band play smaller rooms - it's just
better for both of us. Two of my favorite non-triangle acts,
Filthybird (Greensboro) and The Hellsayers (Asheville) rarely play
here because they're not the biggest draws in this town. I can only
do so much, but what I can't do is make more people like a band or
come to a show (but I sure can name-drop them so people might check
them out!)

The other thing to remember, first AND last impressions go a long
way. If your first show here is huge, that'll stick in my mind for a
while and might get you a few extra shows, even if shows 2 or 3 are
not so well attended. However, unless you make a super-positive first
impression, then I am primarily going to judge you by your last show
here. If your most-recent 506 show (regardless of other shows in town
or past success at this club) is sub-par, then it's going to be hard
for me to forget that when you ask me for that next show.

With all that said, it sometimes seems bands just don't have 'no' in
their vocabulary, and end up saying yes to everything they're offered,
whether they are excited about it or not. Besides being a great band,
I credit The Old Ceremony's rise to Cradle-status due in part to their
to their show selection process. I'm sure Django has told me 'no' to
as many show as he's said 'yes.' In turn, The Old Ceremony is the
only local band to form during my 3.5 years of owning Local 506 that
has also outgrown my club.

If there were more bands like that, I might even succumb and use the
word 'scene' again...glenn/506

ps: gosh, I always think I'm going to write a two sentence reply, and
it evolves into an essay somehow.