ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:01:59 -0800 (PST)

>I guess it can be argued both ways - too many or too few shows.

When starting out, yes, play away. But as you progress, and ideally
try to move up, then you have to be selective. Believe me, the first
thing I look at when considering a band for a show is what other shows
they have. And that's not just for me, but it's also some protection
for the other venues. I don't want to undercut my fellow venues by
booking an act they already have on their schedule.

Funny, for this reason alone is why Bull City opened *this* Whigs
shows. They were the first band i thought of for the past few Whigs
shows, but always had something else scheduled in the time-frame.
They never realized this cos I never even emailed them (thank you,
myspace.)

For this reason alone, I would also suggest not booking too many shows
too far out as well (if you want to play 506, the Cradle, etc.) There
is a local band that played here this past Fall that I really dug and
I want to put them on a bigger show; however, when I was looking to
add them to a recent bill, they already has multiple Cave shows
throughout the Spring, which not only ruled them out for this one
show, but pretty much ruled them out from any show here this Spring.

Again, I'm not saying don't play smaller rooms, all I'm suggesting is
be selective and think about your goals as a band when picking
shows....glenn