ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Eric Mann" <trilamdabooking AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:19:34 -0500

scene and not heard. my old band, Kudzu Wish, played a crap load around NC
and beyond, including 38 states and eastern Canada about 355 shows i think.
and as hard as it was to get things moving and shaking with local shows and
press it appears we have a better presence and press related "positiveness"
after being broken up for 3 years than we did when we were an active band.
The Indy never covered us positively or negatively when we were an active
band. but the Indy just last week said we used to be one of North Carolina's
best bands.

so yeah as glenn just put it. be strategic. but also do other stuff to like
playing on the radio and recording with awesome people. Kudzu Wish got to
record with J. Robbins a few years back and that totally ruled and we didn't
have to play to an empty room or drive in the snow or whatever. try
different venues out in chapel hill since there are so many and see what
turns out to be the best to your band or situation. Hell, the Cave,
Reservoir, Nightlight, Jack Sprat and the other countless 30 - 100 person
venues around here. after that its a real trick to turn the corner and play
bigger venues only. not sure i have the best advice since my band imploded
and we were just to tired of not getting any breaks. be very fortunate to
have the plethora of small venues around here. coming from greensboro from
1998 - 2004 that area had college campuses, some house shows, a record store
and a bar or two as far as small to mid size venues and that was it. chapel
hill has a crap load of small situations which one would think would make
things easier for local bands but maybe not.