ch-scene - Re: Another Club to Close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Another Club to Close
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:55:41 -0800 (PST)

>>>All I do know, and I know I might seem naive, is that those dumpy
little clubs, that aren't real "rock" clubs, have hosted some amazing
music.

My comments weren't meant to dis the smaller clubs - I love seeing
bands at The Cave, but only when you can actually see them. The last
time I went to 'see' Red Collar, I could only watch them on the video
monitor because of the size of the crowd. That's why I personally
feel that a 'stage' has value - I know I've avoided a few shows at
smaller rooms because I figured that instead of watching the band I'd
more likely be watching the backsides of their biggest fans.

Basically, the bigger the venue, the more it cost to appease the
number of people who can attend. Just last month I bought a smaller
PA (for our free-for-all shows) that is the equivalent of what most of
the other rooms have; however, I also spent three times that amount
making upgrades to our bigger PA (and easily spend that amount every
6-8 weeks on repairs, etc.)

>>>The Thrones....a band that I love to death can't get a show in
this area..except in a dumpy little dive. Joe Preston told me himself
that his booking agent had the hardest time booking in the area.

It's hard to book Chapel Hill because there are so many local bands
here. And many local musicians are in multiple bands. So, if the
average musician in this area is in two bands, that's going to make it
twice as hard for anyone to get a show (not to mention, twice as hard
to get played on the radio, get written up in the Indy, get people to
buy your CD, etc.)

Likewise, because of our location (between DC and Atlanta, centrally
located within NC,) we get tons of touring acts. I just checked my
generic booking email address (which is for unsolicited booking
requests) and 12 bands contacted me over the last three days. That's
an average of four bands a day, and we normally only book three a
night (ie: supply exceeds opportunities) - and again, this is the
unsolicited emails, not the booking agents and established local acts
I'm also talking to. Not every act is going to get a show because of
basic economics. And believe me, there are plenty of established acts
we miss out on because the date is already booked with another act.
For example, I have some dates in March (pre/post-SXSW) that I have 8
different touring packages all wanting the same date. Hopefully some
of those end up in the triangle, but some of those will likely end up
in other cities.

>>>The show was packed. Also those places don't charge over $7 to see a show.
I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I guess I'm saying I want to
support local music,

FYI, ticket prices are a reflection of the cost of the show. I set my
ticket prices based on the guarantee of the acts. And bands set their
guarantees based on their cost. So, when you go see a show at the
Cradle, part of your ticket price is to cover those buses outside,
those roadies running around with flashlights, etc.

As far as local shows, I'm always willing to accept a free show - and
cover the cost of the show out of the bar, which I assume will do more
because 'free' normally equals more people. However, even local
bands have costs (practice space, equipment, fliers, recording costs,
etc.) so I also understand when bands want to charge (however, I will
say that I think bands should play for free until they have a decent
following - as I always say, cover charges are the biggest deterrent
for bands to get new fans.) Even still, it's rare for a locals to
charge more than $6.

>but I feel I'm paying a premium to do so and I can't afford that premium.
>Nuf said.

Right, which brings us back to the original message. What you view as
a 'premium', clubs view as cost of doing business as there is pretty
much a hidden cost to every element of a club. For you to enjoy that
beer, clubs have to pay for an ABC license (plus a $4 tax on every
liquor bottle), for you to not sit in silence between bands, clubs
have to pay BMI/APSCAP licenses, for you to not freeze/burn up, clubs
have to pay expensive utility bills (which also helps keep that beer
cold), and for you to hear the band clearly, clubs have to pay a
soundguy. And, most of all, for clubs to get the best talent
possible, clubs have to pay the artists.

Bottomline: If rock clubs were making a so-called premium, I don't
think so many would be closing, would they?