ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of January 4, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of January 4, 2008
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:44:55 -0800 (PST)

>>For 2008, Local 506 have resurrected their periodic Free For All shows,
which are, um, free. My reading of the Independent Weekly leads me to
believe that they've got a smaller stage-mounted PA so they won't have
to pay a soundman on these nights when they're not charging a cover.
Most bands bring enough stage volume nowadays to only need vocal mics,
at least in a room the size of 506, so unless the new PA is as
pitifully
underpowered as the BCHQ PA, this could be a plus.

This is correct. These shows are primarily for acts that are looking
to get their first shows at 506, I don't foresee this PA being used
for free shows that we do on the weekends. And yes, it is my belief
that the 'band' room should still sound great, being that it's similar
in size to the Nightlight. It might not sound as great in the 'bar'
room but, then again, if you're in that room, you're not as focused on
the show anyway.

As always I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

glenn

ps: the smaller PA was chosen by my soundguys, who know more about
this stuff than me.